March 15: A Meandering Path
Lisa Davis, gardener, artist, and author from Oswego County, will share how a small garden she planted in 1993 sparked an unexpected journey, one that led to her evolution as a gardener and the unexpected meandering path that has beckoned her ever since.
April 5: He’s No Folly
Dr. Jeffrey Ludwig, Director of Education at the Seward House Museum in Auburn, will present a retrospective on William Seward and the Alaskan Purchase 150 years later, highlighting ways in which this anniversary was marked.
May 17: Sonnenberg Gardens
David Hutchings, Executive Director, invites us to come walk with him into a gilded age of history as he wanders through Sonnenberg Gardens and the 1887 mansion on the grounds.
September 20: All the World’s A Stage – Have You Visited Ours?
Bob Hupp, Artistic Director, at Syracuse Stage, will discuss the coming season and his role in making it happen.
October 18: Clear Path For Veterans
Lynn Fox, a representative of New York’s largest veteran’s resource center, will describe the programs this local non-profit offers veterans returning from service.
November 8: Canal Life
Andrew Derby, retired Baldwinsville’s Lock Chief, will share his experiences as he spins yarns of canal life past and present.
ABOUT THE FRIENDS
The Baldwinsville Free Library was established in January 1948. It opened its doors at the site of the Syracuse-Oswego Trolley Station on East Genesee Street with 1000 volumes. The Travelers Club, a study group active in the Baldwinsville area since 1896, pioneered the organization of the new library. In 1956, the library moved to a renovated house on Charlotte Street.
In 1953, The Friends of the Baldwinsville Public Library was organized. The purpose of Friends is to support the library financially and to focus attention on the services that the library provides the community. Over the years, Friends of the Library has sponsored fund raising projects such as book clubs, coffee hour book reviews, membership teas, concerts, bake sales and a yearly program of speakers. All proceeds from these events are given to the library to purchase furnishings, reference books, computers and other equipment.
In 1974, the residents of the school district approved the establishment of the Baldwinsville Public Library as a tax supported institution.
In 1976, voters approved the purchase of the building at 43 Oswego Street. Friends refurbished the staff room and public meeting room as well as provided a wall mural by Jeane Custin, then President of the organization.
In 1993, voters approved the construction of Baldwinsville’s first facility designed specifically for library use. The community room kitchen was furnished with funds raised by the Friends. The new building at 33 East Genesee Street was inaugurated in October1995. In 2010 the new library building celebrated its 15th anniversary.
In 2004, The Friends of the Baldwinsville Public Library was incorporated with a slight change in name to Friends of Baldwinsville Public Library, Inc.
In 2005 Friends became a registered not-for-profit organization. Faithful to its original purpose, the organization continues to provide support for the library and its services.
For additional information about the Friends of the Baldwinsville Public Library contact the library at 315-635-5631 or mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.