A Brief History of the
Baldwinsville Public Library
In the fall of 1946, the Baldwinsville Travelers Club formed a library committee to investigate establishing a library in the village. The library opened its doors for the first time on January 6, 1948, in two rooms of the old trolley station that served as the Lysander Town Building.
In February of 1953, the Friends of the Library was organized as the result of committee initiative of the Baldwinsville Travelers Club. On November 13, 1956, the library opened its doors in a renovated house located at 17 Charlotte Street. The library continued to grow and flourish in its new home.
In 1961, the Onondaga Library System (now the Onondaga County Public Library System) was organized. Membership in this system allowed the Baldwinsville Library to cooperated and share service with other libraries, and included having one library card good at all member libraries. OCPL membership facilitated interlibrary loan, cataloging, printing, and consultant services from the system headquarters.
On May 7, 1974, the voters of Baldwinsville approved a proposal to become a school district public library. In 1975, the library moved to the former Woolworth’s at 43 Oswego Street. Over the years the library became a central component of life in the Baldwinsville community, and in the fall of 1993, a public referendum was overwhelmingly passed for construction of a new facility.
October 29, 1995 was an exciting day as over 2,500 people participated in the Grand Opening of the new library at 33 East Genesee Street. The library provides meeting spaces, quiet study areas, a computer lab, and adult and children’s reference desks. There is a community art gallery that features local professional and amateur artists. Computer courses and Tech-Help Drop-Ins are offered in the Library Training lab, and patrons can access a variety of materials from the Library Downloads and Student Resources web-pages.
Library staff work continuously to provide new and improved resources and services to the Baldwinsville community.